How you can help your patients and increase your clinical knowledge of OA
Resources for healthcare providers include pain communication tools, outcome measures for use in clinical care and patient education, and a review of guidelines for the management of OA.
The recommended starting treatments for all patients with knee OA are land and water-based exercise, weight management, strength training, and self-management education. Learn more in the clinical care guidelines below.
Self-Management and Prevention Fact Sheet for clinicians
Exercise (land, water, and strength)
Recommend an increase in general physical activity and perform physical performance measures to determine the physical function of your patients. Learn more about active living with OA and evidence-based physical activity programs in our resource library.
Self-management Education and Weight Management
Evidence-based Program Resources for Clinicians
- OAAA Walk With Ease issue brief for Clinical Providers
- APTA Walk With Ease Fact Sheet for Clinical Providers
- Salt Lake County Aging & Adult Services Prescription Pad
- Resource Guide with links to relevant community resources for patients RX Links
Clinical Care Guidelines
- Osteoarthritis Research Society International (OARSI)
- Center for Enhancing Activity & Participation among Persons with Arthritis (ENACT): Tools for Practitioners – Tools for healthcare providers and researchers to use for clinical care, education, and research outcomes.
- American Chronic Pain Association
- A systematic review of recommendations and guidelines for the management of osteoarthritis: The chronic osteoarthritis management initiative of the U.S. bone and joint initiative. Nelson, et al., Semin Arthritis Rheum 2014 (abstract)
Walk With a Doc
You may also consider starting a “Walk with a Doc” chapter in your community. We have developed several briefs for the Walk with a Doc program online Walk Topics library under “Arthritis.” Walk leaders can download these briefs to share with their walkers. Learn more here!
Walk With a Doc Briefs
Walk with a Doc maintains an online “Walk Topics” library of mini-lectures, or lecturettes, that walk leaders everywhere can download and share with their walkers. These lecturettes are quick and easy to read and digest for people who have arthritis and healthcare providers, alike.
- Osteoarthritis: A Basic Overview
- Arthritis: Key Public Health Messages
- Arthritis and Walking
- Exercises to Prevent Falls
- Myths about Osteoarthritis